Joy is an experienced educator and facilitator whose classes, workshops, panel discussions, and guest lectures have been attended by thousands of teachers, young people, youth workers, healthcare providers, college students, higher ed administrators, and community organizers in Chicago, throughout Illinois, and across the country. In addition to her community education with the Illinois Caucus for Adolescent Health and Invisible to Invincible: Asian Pacific Islander Pride of Chicago, she has also been an adjunct instructor at the University of Illinois at Chicago and a teaching assistant at the University of North Carolina in both online and classroom formats.
She specializes in workshop facilitation and curriculum development related to sexuality education, LGBTQ identities and issues, adoption, Asian American communities, reproductive rights and justice, community organizing and advocacy, and youth development.
Workshop Topics include (but aren't limited to):
Reproductive Justice: RJ 101 (and beyond), Adoption & Adoptee Justice, Asian American Reproductive Justice, RJ Intersectionality (with DV/Gender-Based Violence, Disability Justice, LGBTQ issues, Youth, Immigration, Economic Security)
Sexual Health: Sexuality Education & Standards, Reproductive Anatomy, Sexually Transmitted Infections, Methods of Protection, Consent, Healthy Relationships, Pregnancy & Birthing
LGBTQ Topics: LGBTQ 101 (and beyond), LGBTQ Health, Bisexuality & Biphobia, LGBTQ Intersectionality (with DV/Gender-Based Violence, Disability Justice, Youth, Immigration, Economic Security, Reproductive Justice)
Nonprofit Topics: Evaluation Basics, Youth-Adult Partnerships, Policy Advocacy, Grassroots Fundraising, Values-Based Organizational/Personnel Policies, Digital & Social Media for Social Change
Request Joy to speak at your event, facilitate a training, or assist with curriculum development today.
Selected Past Engagements are listed below. Selected Media Appearances & Features can be found here.
- 2016 - Opening Plenary Speaker on Healing Justice Within Social Movements, CLPP Conference (Amherst, MA)
- 2016 - Invited Panelist on Philanthropy and Fundraising for Social Justice Activism, RiotCON (Chicago, IL)
- 2015 - Invited Panelist on Reproductive Justice, Gender-Based Violence, Economic Justice, and Community-Based Policy Change, Women of Color Network Economic Policy and Leadership Midwest Convening (Chicago, IL)
- 2015 - Invited Panelist on Philanthropy, Racial Justice, and LGBTQ Communities, NQAPIA National Conference (Chicago, IL)
- 2015 & 2014 - Presenter on LGBTQ Identity and Domestic Violence, Korean American Women in Need (KAN-WIN) 40-Hour Domestic Violence Training (Des Plaines, IL)
- 2014 - Presenter on Legislative Advocacy for Reproductive Justice, National Asian Pacific American Women's Forum (NAPAWF) National Power Up! Summit (Washington, DC)
- 2013 - Presenter on Peer Education & the National Sexuality Education Standards, State Sex Ed Summit (Washington, DC)
- 2013 - Guest Lecturer on Bisexual Identity and College Student Development & Support, Lavender Lecture Series at the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) (Chicago, IL)
- 2013 - Guest Lecturer on Adoptee-Inclusive Policies & Practices, UIC Introduction to Asian American Studies (Chicago, IL)
- 2012 - Invited Speaker on Reproductive Justice & Social Work, University of Chicago School of Social Service Administration (Chicago, IL)
- 2011 - Speaker on Multiracial Coalition Building and Adoptee Identities, Midwest Asian American Student Union (MAASU) Leadership Retreat Conference (Chicago, IL)
- 2010 - Presenter on North Carolina Intimate Partner Violence Policies and Gaps, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Division of Violence Prevention (Atlanta, GA)
- 2010 - Presenter on LGBTQ Health Disparities, Southeastern Regional LGBTIQ Unity Conference (Chapel Hill, NC)
- 2009 - Presenter on LGBTQ Campus Activism, Equality North Carolina Conference (Greensboro, NC)
- 2008 - Invited Panelist on Providing LGBTQ-Affirming Medical and Health Care, University of North Carolina College of Medicine (Chapel Hill, NC)